Oyle of Rose Experimente- failen

The first batch of Rose appears to have grown a mold of some sort. It was surface mold only on some of the rose petals that were above the oil. I have a wonderful aerobic environment for things to grow in. The rose and oil are in a sealed jar, in a warm location, and covered by a towel.
rose

I have removed the growing bits and a bit more of the top layer of rose petals that were above the oil line. Currently all remain roses are below the oil line. They have now gone back to their spot on the window sill to complete the 40 day wait. Since this is not a food based product that someone will eat, I am happy to let the recipe do what it is going to do. Batch 2 of rose oil seems to be doing well and shows no signs of growth.

Advertisements

Oyle of Rose- Part 5

Almost done making oyle of rose. We are now just sitting and waiting until it’s time to do the final straining. I have double boilered the oil and dried damask roses. The scent is milder, but still rosey. It joins the other jar on the window sill covered by a towel until the end of the month.  Here is a side by side look at the two oils as of today.

Almond oil- dried damask rose
almond

Olive oil- fresh generic red rose
Olive

Oyle of Rose- Part 4

I have started batch 2 with the Damask roses and sweet almond oil.  I was surprised that the oil has no additional sent other than “oil.”  This means, the roses will do their thing and not have to compete with the underlying sent of the oil base. With batch 1, the roses were working against the smell of olive.

I wanted to try making a batch of rose oil with dried flowers. Roses have a growing season, but the recipe doesn’t specify when you should be making the oil. Nor does it specify that you should be using fresh flowers.  There are a number of recipes that discuss the proper way to dry flowers so they can be used later. So this is an experiment to see what type of oil and scent will be generated by dried flowers.  Also Damask roses is one of the period appropriate rose breeds.

Batch 1 of rose oil using modern red roses, is a delightful yellow color. It is currently sitting on a shelf that gets moderate sun, covered with a towel.  The towel acts as an insulator. The rose smell has intensified in a delicate way and the olive smell of the base oil is just a faint note in the background.  The rose breed used in this batch is generic organic red rose.

An Oynttment for the stomake approved good against the coughe- Part 1

Among the things Grocers were expected to produce are ointments.  I am working on one that requires chicken grease as the base.

recipe
“Take of Capon grease the quantitye of 4 ownzes”[1]

The first part of the recipe requires the grease of capons. Chicken fat is not something I keep around the house for very long. It is a great byproduct to use in cooking and in sauces.  So I started this recipe off by rendering a chicken cooked in water.

ointment
This rather large chicken, rendered out about 1/2″ of fat at the bottom of a pint jar.
photo 2

I will be cooking off more chicken in the next few weeks.  I have also asked people to save skins and fat for me if they normally discard it.  I have requested these to be frozen as to a time that I can pick them up.  I am storing my chicken fat in the freezer until I have enough to make the recipe a few times and have a little left over for when mistakes happen.

Part 2 will happen in a few weeks, once I have collected enough fat.

[1] “A Booke of diuers Medecines, Broothes, Salues, Waters, Syroppes and Oyntementes of which many or the most part haue been experienced and tryed by the speciall practize of Mrs Corlyon. Anno Domini 1606.”

Oyle of Rose- Part 2

…”sooth them in a doble vessell 3 howers and then straine them and put to the Oyle Rose leaves cut and bruised as before and let them stand in the sonn 40 days well covered. ” [1]

double boil
I have put the roses into a ceramic crocked pot, which has been put into a crock pot.  I filled the crock pot 2/3 with simmering water and set the temperature on low. In the mean time, I am currently pulling the petals off another dozen red roses so I can add them to the oil once it is done.

And then it is on to the very exciting part of hurry up and wait.

In a few days I will be starting a second batch with almond oil and damask roses. I want to compare olive oil and a modern red rose to the damask with almond oil.  The damask roses are coming to me dried. So that will also add an interesting element to the science of making perfumed oils.

“A Booke of diuers Medecines, Broothes, Salues, Waters, Syroppes and Oyntementes of which many or the most part haue been experienced and tryed by the speciall practize of Mrs Corlyon. Anno Domini 1606.”

Oyle of Rose- Part 1

I am making my first infused/decoction oil. This recipe isn’t hard, but it takes time.  47 days and 3 hours to be precise.  This will just be ready in time for Artifacts.

Original recipe:

My roses have been plucked, picked, bruised and are now macerating in Spanish Olive Oil. They are currently sitting in the sun for 7 days.

“A Booke of diuers Medecines, Broothes, Salues, Waters, Syroppes and Oyntementes of which many or the most part haue been experienced and tryed by the speciall practize of Mrs Corlyon. Anno Domini 1606.”